🍅 Classic Tomato Sauce for Canning Recipe
Classic Tomato Sauce for Canning
You will need:
- 10 lbs fresh tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Quart canning jars with lids and rings
- First, wash your tomatoes thoroughly under running water. Remove the stems and chop the tomatoes into quarters.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, sautéing until they become translucent and aromatic.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pot, followed by the chopped fresh basil, salt, black pepper, sugar, and crushed red pepper flakes (if you want a bit of heat).
- Let the mixture simmer for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. The tomatoes will break down and the sauce will thicken.
- While the sauce is simmering, prepare your quart canning jars. Sterilize them by placing them in a large pot of boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Once the sauce is ready, carefully ladle it into the sterilized jars, leaving about 1/2 inch of headspace at the top.
- Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean cloth to ensure a good seal. Place the lids on the jars, then screw on the rings until they are finger-tight.
- Process the jars in a boiling water bath for 40 minutes. This will ensure that the jars are sealed and the sauce is safe for long-term storage.
- After processing, remove the jars from the water bath using a jar lifter and let them cool on a towel. Once cool, check the seals and store in a cool, dark place.
This recipe yields about 4 quart jars of tomato sauce. Remember to always check the seals before using canned goods. If the lid is bulging or if the jar is leaking, do not consume.
Unlock the secret to a perfect home-canned tomato sauce with our Classic Tomato Sauce for Canning recipe. This flavorful sauce is a blend of fresh tomatoes, aromatic onions, and garlic, all simmered to perfection with a hint of basil and a dash of spices. It's a versatile staple that can be used in a variety of dishes, from pasta to pizza, and even as a base for other sauces.
Choosing the right tomatoes can make a significant difference in your sauce. Check out our guide on Exploring the Best Tomatoes for Canning to ensure you pick the most suitable variety for your sauce. The right tomato can enhance the flavor, texture, and color of your sauce, making it even more delicious.
While our recipe uses classic ingredients, don't be afraid to experiment with your own. Add a personal touch to your sauce with different herbs, spices, or even a splash of wine. If you're looking for inspiration, check out these Homemade Sauce Recipes for unique flavor combinations.
Once your sauce is ready, it's time to can it. Canning is a great way to preserve the freshness and flavor of your homemade sauce. If you're new to canning or need a quick refresher, take a look at our step-by-step guide on How to Perfectly Can Cherry Tomatoes. This guide will walk you through the process, ensuring your sauce is safely preserved.
Remember, the key to successful canning is using high-quality canning jars. At Just Canning, we offer a wide range of Canning Products, including quart canning jars, lids, and rings. These are designed to keep your canned goods fresh and safe for consumption.
With this recipe and the right canning tools, you'll have a pantry stocked with homemade tomato sauce, ready to be used whenever you need it. Enjoy the satisfaction of creating your own sauce and the convenience of having it on hand for your culinary adventures.