🥒 Simple Pickle Red Onions Recipe
Simple Pickle Red Onions Recipe
You will need:
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- First, thinly slice the large red onion and place the slices in a clean jar.
- Next, in a saucepan, combine one cup of apple cider vinegar with a tablespoon of sugar and one and a half teaspoons of salt.
- Heat the mixture on medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar and salt completely dissolve.
- Once the vinegar mixture is ready, carefully pour it over the onions in the jar, filling it to the brim.
- If the onions are not fully submerged, add enough water to cover them.
- Allow the jar to cool down to room temperature before placing it in the refrigerator.
- After about 24 hours, the onions will be nicely pickled and ready to enjoy. They can be kept refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
For a more in-depth guide to canning onions and other vegetables, check out my DIY canning tips.
Are you ready to dive into the world of canning? With our Simple Pickle Red Onions Recipe, you'll be able to preserve the vibrant flavor of red onions and enjoy them all year round. This recipe is a perfect starting point for beginners and a quick, easy task for seasoned canners.
What makes this recipe so special? It's all about the balance of flavors. The tangy apple cider vinegar, the subtle sweetness of sugar, and the sharpness of salt all combine to create a pickling solution that truly enhances the natural taste of red onions. The result? Crisp, tangy onions that can elevate any dish they're added to.
Why Pickle Red Onions?
Red onions are a staple in many kitchens, known for their vibrant color and distinctive flavor. By pickling them, you not only extend their shelf life but also transform them into a versatile condiment. Pickled red onions can add a pop of color and a burst of flavor to salads, sandwiches, tacos, and more.
Understanding the Canning Process
At its core, canning is a method of preserving food by heating it in a sealed container. This process kills bacteria, yeast, and molds that could cause food to spoil. Once the jar is sealed and cooled, a vacuum seal is formed, preventing new bacteria from getting in and spoiling the food.
Our Simple Pickle Red Onions Recipe uses a basic canning technique that's perfect for beginners. You'll learn how to prepare the onions, create a pickling solution, and properly seal your jars.
Expand Your Canning Horizons
Once you've mastered this recipe, why not explore the art of canning further? Whether you're interested in canning cucumbers, trying out steam canning, or even reusing canning lids, Just Canning is here to guide you. We offer a wide range of resources, including in-depth guides, tips, and a variety of canning recipes.
So, why wait? Embrace the joy of canning today and discover the satisfaction of creating your own preserved foods. Happy canning!